BRONX ZOO TREETOP ADVENTURE
Rules & Regulations
- Eligibility for Use of Equipment
- Climbing Course Requirements
- Participant Restrictions
- Park Rules
- Health and Safety
- Reservations and Cancellations
1. ELIGIBILITY FOR USE OF EQUIPMENT
All participants must meet minimum eligibility requirements: must fit comfortably into harness; age 7 or older; between 50 and 275 pounds; able to reach 66 inches with feet flat on the ground.
Anyone age 7 to 17 years must be accompanied by an adult (18 year or older) into Treetop Adventure.
Supervision of Minors for ZIPLINE: Children ages 7 - 9 must be accompanied by at least one ticketed adult throughout the entire zipline experience - a parent or guardian 18 years of age or older who will sign the license agreement and release form. Max of two children (ages 7 - 9) per adult in the party. Children ages 10 –17 may participate alone, but must have a completed license agreement and release form and must have parent or guardian 18 years or older present to check in, attend safety orientation and supervise them at all times.
Supervision of Minors for CLIMBING COURSE: Children ages 7–17 may participate alone on designated courses, but all minors MUST have a parent or guardian 18 years or older supervising their experience. Adult must be present at check in and attend safety orientation. Each course level has specific age-related supervision. See 'Climbing Course Requirements Chart’ for complete details.
Pregnant individuals are not permitted to climb or zip.
Any minor or parent/ guardian who lists the age of Participant dishonestly or inaccurately is falsifying information on a legally binding contract AND increasing the risk of injury to the child, adult escort/supervisor, WCS’s facilitators and other Equipment users.
2. CLIMBING COURSE REQUIREMENTS
For all Participants: Must complete 1 Green course prior to attempting a BLUE course. Must complete 1 BLUE course prior to attempting Black course.
Some of our courses require adult escorts and/or supervisors for children. Look for these icons:
- Adult may be on the ground observing; (maximum ratio of 2 children per 1 adult). Supervisor must remain on Treetop Adventure grounds.
- Adult must be up ON the course climbing along with the child.
|Supervisor||2:1 Ratio||1:1 Ratio||N/A|
3. PARTICIPANT RESTRICTIONS
- MUST meet age, weight, reach and any other eligibility requirements. Additional supervision restrictions must be followed for all Participants under 18. See ‘Climbing Course Requirements’ for specific details.
- MUST receive training before using the Equipment.
- MUST fit comfortably in the provided safety harness and be able to properly demonstrate the use of the Smart Belay System.
- MUST be fully capable of performing specific safety tasks independently, including full range of motion with the arms and legs, and be physically able to grasp and pull ropes and climb and balance on stairs and ladders.
- MUST be able to read, comprehend and sign this License Agreement. A parent/guardian (18+) must be present to sign this License Agreement for any Participant under age 18.
- MUST be able to comprehend all training and safety instructions, which are given in the English language, and must obey all such instructions.
- MUST pay the full license fee before using any of the Equipment.
Use of This Equipment Is Not For Everyone:
- Not suitable for guests with extreme fear of heights.
- The Treetop Adventure climb Equipment includes many elements requiring physical dexterity, and even the zipline Equipment includes elements requiring physical dexterity (e.g., a 55-foot bridge and 32 stairs). If these Equipment features would be difficult for you, use of such Equipment is not recommended.
- Not recommended for anyone with high blood pressure, heart conditions, shortness of breath, seizure disorders, balance problems, neck, back, shoulder or joint issues or any other condition that would require immediate medical attention or be exacerbated by use of the Equipment. Individuals with these or any other health issue, concern, condition, injury, pain, instability or disease that could potentially impair the ability to use the Equipment in a safe manner must immediately bring such circumstances to the attention of a WCS Equipment operator to determine whether use of the Equipment will be permitted.
- Do not use the Equipment if you are recovering from a recent injury or surgery. Persons wearing a cast, splint or brace due to recent injury are not permitted to use the Equipment. If you wear a preventative brace, from an old or pre-existing condition, the brace cannot unduly restrict your movement or interfere with the proper fit and operation of your safety gear.
- WCS reserves the right to terminate any Participant’s right to use the Equipment if the Participant is unable or unwilling to perform all safety tasks independently, or is in breach of the safety rules or this License Agreement.
Requirements Regarding Footwear:
- Secure, rubber/athletic sole, closed-toe and fully covered sides/back, lace-up and fitted heel shoes are required.
- NOT Permitted: high heels, flip-flops, or loose/unsecured footwear.
- WCS reserves the right to make decisions about appropriate footwear prior to or during Participant’s use of Equipment.
Requirements Regarding Clothing and Personal Items:
- Participants must wear comfortable, well-fitting clothing that does not allow anything to hang loose or get tangled in the cables, ropes or other Equipment. Bathing suits, skirts or dresses are not permitted.
- Shoulder-length or longer hair must be pulled back.
- Pockets must be empty. All loose items (cell phones, wallets, cameras, etc.) and dangling jewelry/clothing must be removed prior to training and any use of Equipment.
- WCS is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items and will not retrieve any items that fall into the Equipment or surrounding areas.
4. PARK RULES
- All general Bronx Zoo park rules are in effect in the use of the Equipment. In the event of any conflict between such general Bronx Zoo park rules and the provisions of this License Agreement, the provisions of this License Agreement shall apply.
- NO food or gum chewing while using the Equipment or in its vicinity.
- The Bronx Zoo is a smoke-free park. Smoking is permitted only in parking lots.
- Use of tobacco products or inhalants of any kind is prohibited at all times while using the Equipment or in its vicinity.
- There is NO alcohol or drug use permitted at any time prior to or during use of the Equipment or in its vicinity. Participants may not be under the influence of alcohol or any substance (including medications) that might impair judgment or physical capability while using the Equipment or located in its vicinity.
- Photo/Video Policy: During the use of the Equipment, Participant may be videotaped or photographed by a WCS employee or authorized guest. Participant’s signature on this License Agreement serves as permission for use of Participant’s image by these parties. Commercial photography or filming is prohibited without the express written permission of WCS Public Relations.
- WCS reserves the right to terminate any Participant’s right to use the Equipment if the Participant is found to be endangering the safety of themselves or others. Refunds will not be given in these situations.
5. HEALTH AND SAFETY
We need all guests to continue to participate in proper healthy behaviors when visiting. Please be a responsible guest, and protect yourself and others:
- IF YOU ARE SICK, OR HAVE POSSIBLE SYMPTOMS, PLEASE STAY HOME AND TAKE TIME TO RECOVER.
- MASK POLICY: Masks are welcome to be worn, based on personal preference. Guests and staff may continue to wear masks for a variety of reasons, so please be kind and considerate of others.
- WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN. Hand sanitizer stations are available at the park.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing.
- Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.
- COVID-19 WARNING An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. By visiting WCS’s facilities, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
6. RESERVATIONS AND CANCELLATIONS
- All sales of licenses to use the Equipment are final.
- Be sure to check Equipment use eligibility requirements before booking. For your safety, height and weight will be verified upon arrival. If you make an online purchase and you arrive at check-in booth and weigh less or more than the weight limits or do not meet the minimum height or reach requirements, there will be no refunds.
- Participants may reschedule their reservation with 5 days’ advance notice, for a new time within 6 months of the initial reservation.
- Reservation changes are not permitted with less than 5 days’ prior notice, and payment is non-refundable.
- No refunds will be issued for no-shows.
- Accurate contact information is required to fulfill any rainchecks or reservation adjustments.
- WCS reserves the right to terminate or suspend the use of the Equipment due to inclement weather, park or animal concerns, and/or safety concerns. In the event of cancellation, efforts will be made to reschedule Participant on the soonest available future date.
Weather Cancellation Policy:
- The Equipment is operated rain or shine. Only severe weather conditions such as lightning, high winds and heavy down pours will temporarily shut down the Equipment. (A light to moderate rain is merely another challenge to overcome by Equipment users!)
- All sales are final. In the event weather conditions change WCS’s operations:
- If we shut down the Equipment in advance of your arrival, a raincheck will be issued and we will assist in rescheduling your slot as soon as possible (raincheck will be valid only for the registered individual, and expires 1 year from initial reservation date). You will be contacted via the email address provided.
- If we temporarily clear the Treetop Adventure course during your use of the Equipment, we will put the course on hold for approximately 30 minutes to allow us to reevaluate conditions. Equipment use will pause, and when the course is reopened you may resume using the Equipment for the full amount of time you had remaining when the closure took place.
- If we close the course during your use of the Equipment, a raincheck will be issued to any Participant using the Equipment for 1.5 hours or less. Any Participant using the Equipment for more than 1.5 hours will be considered to have had a full session and no raincheck will be issued.
- No refunds will be issued for weather-related no-shows.